Sunday, July 20, 2008

Still on the road home.

We stuck to US highway 20 today. We started from Burns, Or. at the Days Inn and would recommend it to anyone. Very friendly folks. We ended up in Idaho Falls, ID. The traveling was good until the last 50 miles, when we got some strong side winds, and took all the fun out of the day. We passed the Craters of the Moon National Monument, and I forgot to take pictures. It is the most unique landscape I have ever seen. It is lava from some volcanic activity about 2000 years ago. There is very little plant life, and the rock is still black, very rough, and sharp. I regretted not getting pictures of this, but they couldn't convey the starkness of this place. We didn't go to the visitors information center, because it was getting very hot, and we wanted the day over, but this is also now on my list of places to go.
Idaho Falls waterfalls were definitely a disappointment from a photography standpoint. I guess that is why there was a post on VROC a while back about another falls that was more impressive, and I meant to look it up on our ride home, but forgot it.

The mesh jackets are worth there weight in gold. Having armoured protection that protects from the sun and breathes actually keeps you cooler than just a t shirt. I am not a hot weather person, and was surprised when we went through a town that showed the temperature. I wouldn't have guessed that it was that hot. Later, when it got even warmer, we would wet down our t shirts under the mesh jackets and the amount of cooling is amazing. I want to look into the cooling vests for future rides.

448 miles today. It was mostly a good day, even with the mid 90 temperatures. The last 50 miles the wind switched and made things miserable, but it was under an hour.

No comments: