Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Home

We are home. We had a really good day. We got a phone call from our vet early in the morning, and she let us know where Jazz, our yellow lab was going to spend the day. That got us going at a faster rate than we were planning. We missed Jazz, and she is a good dog. She wasn't mistreated at all, but she is usually hard to get a hold of when we get home. This time it was going to be easy, so we had incentive to get home. No better feeling than having your vet board your dog.

Part of the incentive meant we rode a little harder, and a little faster than we had been. The 500 does very, very, well on the highway. It also uses more gas than the Nomad when we push the speeds. Between Buffalo and Moorcroft, WY Melanie passed me and led for most of those hundred miles of I-90. She was typically running about 80, where I was going maybe 70, because of the wind. She also had to go to reserve at only 80 miles on the tank of gas. The 500 started bucking a little as we pulled into the gas station. 33 mpg.

Getting home wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Normally when we go on vacation, I hate going home. This time, when we got close to the Black Hills, I could appreciate the beauty of them, and was thankful I lived there. That doesn't help my wanderlust. I want to go again. Melanie has a 650 mile round trip to make this weekend, and she is going to take her bike. I can't go with her, and I am jealous that she can go and I can't.

Today was 301 miles. The trip total was 3,605 according to the gps. I didn't have it on for beer runs, or Sherms supper ride, so it was a little more, but that is the official number I am quoting. Melanie needed to get another break, but with some seat work on her 500, she would be good to go for even longer rides. We will both post another entry, and I will go through and add some pictures and a little more commentary too.

No comments: